Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Concepts of Print-Students develop an understanding of how printed language works.
Demonstrate an understanding that print carries "the" message.
Recognize that print carries different messages.
Identify messages in common environmental print (e.g., signs, boxes, wrappers).
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Week 3 PLE: What I understand about copyright laws and why it is necessary for teachers to have this knowledge
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:
1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work
In other words, will it harm the copywritee (if theres such a word--if not, I just made it up).
What it means for me as a teacher
It is important to know what I can use as a teacher without violating the copywrite laws. I also need to know how much or long I can use something in school/education. These laws also tell us how to give credit to those who deserve it.
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Focus Question: What is the most important thing about the boot on the table?
- starts discussion
- where has it been?
- what's the point?--tie things in--what is the teacher trying to convey?
- "To me..."
- Lots of important things to teach, but we most find the most important thing to the students.
How do we learn? By asking questions. "The only dumb question is the question that isn't asked."
- In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:
- the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
- the nature of the copyrighted work;
- the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
- the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
Friday, January 15, 2010
- What activities might I use tokbox.com for as a teacher?
- What was the most interesting thing I learned in class tonight?
I might use tokbox.com to find out what other teachers are doing. This program allows us to talk and see each other, enabling us to do a kind of show and tell. Tokbox.com would also allow me to help students after school. If the student and I both have an account, we can video chat to work on homework or if a student is sick we could set up a virtual classroom.
The most important/interesting thing that we talked about in class was being a dynamic teacher. I need to show my students that learning can be fun and give them the love for lifetime learning.
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
My Book Report is Due Today
My book report is due today.
I haven't finished yet.
In fact, I haven't started,
which I'm coming to regret.
I haven't even read the book.
I put it off so long.
I thought I'd have a lot of time.
It looks like I was wrong.
I'd ask my older brother
what this book is all about,
but he's already left for school
and cannot help me out.
I'd hustle to the movie store
and rent the DVD,
but I don't even have the time
to watch it on TV.
I guess I'll have to fake it
and pretend I read the book.
Then write a bunch of nonsense
and assorted gobbledygook.
It's either that, or do the thing
my conscience knows is right:
I'll claim I'm sick and stay at home
and finish it tonight.